This post is specifically for men needing advice and help on how to propose to their lady while having the moment captured by a professional photographer. Please note we are aware this may seem a little non-PC. But let’s face it, heterosexual men need a little more guidance in this area.
Guys, I’m going to try to keep this as simple and direct as possible. Bare with me while I try to explain one of the most romantic and important moments in a women’s life in my best dude talk.
Basically, your woman has already fantasied and envisioned your proposal. No pressure here guys, but she’s most likely has been drooling over engagement rings. It is your job as a man to exceed her expectations! Take a deep breath, you won her heart now it’s time to give her an experience that is once in a lifetime.
1. Pick a location that is meaningful to her, to your relationship or is just kind of mind blowing. This is her Super Bowl with her favorite team- YOU. She probably has been giving you hints on where she wants to go, locations that she finds special or her bucket list spots. Be smart about this- she may want to go paintballing but that isn't where she wants you to pop the question. She will be telling all her friends, family and even her hair dresser how this went down. Give her a place that sets the mood and makes you sound amazing.
2. Yes, she will want this professionally photographed. Have you seen her Facebook page and Instagram... it’s full of photos of the two of you. She is proud to be your woman and wants to share how awesome you are together. This is probably the most important life event for her to date. She will want it captured beautifully, she will cherish the photographs for the rest of her life and gives her the opportunity to brag about what an amazing man you are. BOOM!
3. Plan the proposal- this is your playbook. This will help ease any anxiety you have and ensure the proposal goes smoothly. Don’t worry, as your photographer I’ve helped many men plan their proposals. I will help guide you on location, best time for light, logistics of where to drop on your knee (it's the left knee), timeline and even on what to wear.
4. She will want to look her best. So don’t blindside her while she is in her jeans from high school and her hair is in a messy bun. It’s ok to get some help from her best friend, sister or mom … she will want manicured nails. For she will want to show off that ring! Let her know it’s a date or a special outing. Or plan around an occasion you know she will be dressed up. Maybe treat her to a spa day with professional hair and makeup included. Or take her for a shopping trip before so she has that special outfit already. Now you are cooking with gas.
5. Be her Superman. Look great too! Now is not the time to be comfortable or sloppy or wear socks with sandals.
6. Don’t forget the details. I’m telling you those romantic details will make your proposal her “magical movie moment”. You want to see that smile, the one that stole your heart. Think about a custom playlist, or play your song. Add romantic touches like flowers, a message in a bottle, pictures of the two of you, an amazing date planned before or after. Maybe it’s the sunset or her favorite band or a glass of her favorite wine? Is it dancing under the stars, kissing on the beach or walking through a garden filled with her favorite flowers? What will create an experience for her? This is where you can blow her mind, make her swoon and surprise her. Leave her with the only word she can say is HECK YES!
7. Have a backup plan. You are the MAN! But you don't have super powers to control the weather or fly her to another location.
8. Try not to drop the ball by giving hints, acting like a weirdo or arousing suspicion by being different. Not to make you nervous, but us women, we have a keen sense when it comes to our man.
You are asking your woman a very important question... plan accordingly, get help when needed and make it special. Remember when everything is said and done she loves you and can’t wait to be yours.
You got this!
Oh, one last thing. if you are reading this and have a great proposal story drop it in the comments. Let’s spread some more helpful ideas!