Getting to Know Me
Rising Lotus Photography Owner: Marilyn
Taking readers behind the lens just a little further, I wanted to give you a sneak peek into my life, and the journey that brought me here. First, I am so very grateful for all the amazing people that have supported, challenged, and loved me. As I share with you some pivotal life moments, quirky fun facts, and some of the most cherished moments of my life. I want to be sure to thank all those that were part of the story of my life. Thank you.
My Passion: Since I was little I was always fascinated with photographs. I remember being five years old and sneaking down at six o'clock in the morning at my grandmother's house to see the family albums. I was captivated by how a photograph could tell a whole story in a single image. Photography has been a part of my life ever since. My biggest role model, spiritual teacher, photography enthusiast, and the most cherished person in my life is my Mom. I miss her dearly and feel very close to her every time I pick up a camera. She would always tell me I could do anything I set my mind to and supported my search for happiness.
Photograph by Marisca Bris
My First Love: The first time I rode a horse I was nine years old on a family trip. From that moment I became obsessed with riding and learning more about these beautiful animals. As soon as I got my driver's license, I drove 50 minutes to beg for a job at Maybury Riding Stables. I started off cleaning stalls, grooming horses, and helping around the barn. I eventually worked my way up to Senior trail guide, and trained horses that were new to the barn. The first day on the job I broke my toe when it was stepped on by a draft horse named Angel... seriously one of the best days of my teens, broken toe and all.
My love for horses continues and I have became very involved with helping to rehabilitate rescue horses. The past three years I have volunteered to train and take care of these amazing and resiliant animals. I wish I could say I was there to help them but honestly I learn so much about survival, compassion and spirituality from the horses.
Photographs by Gary Kitchen
Empowerment: I dedicated eight years to non-profit work, empowering women and supporting healing. I am so grateful for the amazing people I met during that time and truly am honored for to bear witness to the beautiful transformation of healing from trauma that occurs in peoples lives. I had some amazing experiences in the movement to end violence, including honoring Chief Jane Castor, coordinating transformational events, and leading the project to produce an empowerment CD. I learned the true grace of the butterfly.
Photograph by Rick Lewis
Some tidbits & fun facts:
1. I dislike making left hand turns and will make three right hand turns before I have to make a left.
2. I have been skydiving 7 times.
3. My favorite accessory is cowboy boots.
4. I have been on the news, in newspapers, magazines and radio over 75 times throughout my career - this does not include the over 20 features and publications of my wedding/engagement photography.
6. I would love to photograph weddings in Switzerland, Ireland, Italy and Australia.
7. I might be known to have popcorn for dinner.
8. When I get excited I have been known to spontaneously break into a happy dance.
9. I was born and raised right outside of Detroit, Michigan.
10. I was a competitive swimmer in grade school and college, traveling throughout the U.S and Canada.
11. I have meditated with Deepak Chopra, listen to Desmond Tutu speak live and swam with sea turtles.
I wanted to give a HUGE shout out to Stephanie Smith, my photography mentor. Her guidance and support has helped me to achieve my dreams and explore my passion. I adore this woman, and from the beginning she has been my cheerleader, always reminding me what is possible.
Thanks so much for taking the time to learn a little more about me. I cannot wait to learn about you and the story of your love.